Monday, December 6, 2010

Am I a good dad???

I guess all kids like to play with fire. I know I did. Heck, I still do. So when Bub came up to me and said he wanted a torch, I guess the responsible adult thing to do would be to explain all the dangers of playing with fire. I said, "Cool!".
Now the whipper-snappers didn't want a stick with one end on fire, they wanted honest to goodness, chase the ogre with the pitchfork, torches.

I could tell Papa didn't think this was the best idea in the world but as I expected he jumped right in when he saw it was bound to happen. He helped cut the sassafras trees to the appropriate size. Green wood is a must.

Then we wrapped an old washcloth around the end and tied it on with small thin wire.


Next we found some old candles and melted them in a #10 can.

A good use for used candles.

Then we dipped the washcloth in the wax...

...coating thoroughly.

Then we tied a second washcloth around the first and repeated the waxing process.

Next... light 'em up!

They really worked great. Burned for about an hour. We brought home more sassafras to make more. I just might win coolest dad of the year award.



No comments:

Post a Comment