Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July

Clan Daniel had a wonderful 4Th of July holiday. I spent a lot of time considering 233 years of America and I hope I will get back to the blog this week to comment on that, but for now a rundown on a busy day. The day started with the Mrs. and I sitting on our front porch (my favorite place in the whole world) drinking coffee and talking about how we really needed to pay some attention to the weed situation in our flower beds when inspiration struck. Why not get the whipper-snappers to do it for us? Fortunately it was Independence day and I knew the whipper-snappers were wanting me to take them to buy fireworks. Now I would love to tell you that they had been saving their hard earned money for months now waiting for the day that they would be able to spend it all on fireworks, but these are my WS's and they expected me to pay the bill on the evenings festivities. With this knowledge I was able to put my plan into action.
We spent the next hour still enjoying our morning coffee in the shade of the porch enjoying a nice southerly breeze while the WS's toiled merrily away until all the beds were in tip-top shape.

They worked tirelessly in pure devotion to their mother and father without a single word of complaint.
See the smile! These kids were dang happy to be taking the load off the folks knowing all that we do for them

Well, it's the way I "choose" to remember it anyway. Besides - that's what they look like in the photos don't they?

Hard work pays off as we go to the local mega-fireworks store to purchase that evenings goodies. Man times have changed since I was a kid. We always went to some tiny shack , usually in somebodies front yard to by $20.00 worth of black cats, smoke bombs, bottle rockets, and the greatest firework of all time - the bottle rocket.

Mom helps the WS's spend their , I mean my, hard earned money. A heck of a lot more than the 20 bucks I usually got!

Look at her. So innocent...yea right!

They unload the buggy, ( Buggy? give me a break, a buggy? I had a half empty brown paper sack) but Dad gets to pay for it!
On the way home they turn on the cute button so dad calms down a bit. My father-in-law talks about what a waste of money fireworks are. Burning your money he says. I don't know if he is starting to get to me or I'm just getting old, but it lost a little luster this year...just a little.

We get back home and go for a swim. A new pool you ask? Well sort of. The Mrs. and I were at odds about getting a pool this year. She won the battle but I think I may win the war.

I bought a redneck pool at Wally-world. You've seen these things, they have a small pump, you add chlorine and everything. A mini above ground pool that you put up and take down each year.
After an afternoon with the temp at well above 100 degrees, the Mrs. is already talking about next summer going for the real thing! Ha! I win!!!!! Well, maybe.
That evening we wrapped shrimp and marinated venison in bacon and jalapenos and cooked them on the grill.

This was a heavy grill use weekend as I guess it should be.

We also had fresh fried okra from the garden to go with the grilled goodies.

It turned out really good!

After much eating the fireworks began.

Bub has a permanent scar on his forehead from Sissy last year (punk incident) so he's a little jumpy!
Bub and Sissy both rally do enjoy the festivities.

I'm more of an aerial fan, but they dig the shower stuff too.

We are very lucky to live outside the city were we can do this sort of thing. Also that there was no burn ban.

Sister was a little unhappy that we did not turn her loose with open flames and explosives. I mean she is all of 4 years old. I guess we are just too overprotective.

This is really hard to get a pic of!

She was still mad, but Dad is kinda funny!


No comments:

Post a Comment